Sometimes motivation is a middle-aged guy who shows up at your birthday party and crushes your soul a little.
Don (no, not his real name) wasn't
technically invited to my birthday party. He wasn't unwelcome, per se, although
there was definitely a moment when my only birthday wish was for him to … well
… how to put this delicately … eff off.
I had met Don a couple of times before
the evening of my party. He teaches creative writing and has published several
books, so he seemed like someone who might have Thoughts/Things To Say.
Late in the evening, I noticed Don sitting alone, so, being the -- ahem -- social
butterfly that I am, I thought to myself, "I will bring him back into the
fold. No one feels lonely here, not on my watch!"
I sat down with him and chatted about
the normal stuff -- family, travel, whatever. At one point, I said to him,
"You know ... I enjoy writing as well." I thought, surely this topic would begin a lifelong dialogue between us about the aesthetics
of self expression, the power of words.
"In fact," I probably smiled
self-deprecatingly here, "I wrote poetry throughout college. I found it was
a good way to express myself." I was ready to talk with him about Alice Walker's use of repetition; Elizabeth Bishop's sense of orientation; Rilke's
lyricism.
Instead, he shrugged. He looked at the
ceiling. He said, "Welllll, there are writers..." He frowned at me.
He sighed. "And then there are hobbyists."
Gulp.
There are many, many
things I could have said to him in reply (for example, on the milder end, the ubiquitous
and all-purpose, "Really?!?"). But instead, I smiled pleasantly and
excused myself politely, because I am a Lady, or because it was
my flippin' birthday and he was being a jerk.
Or, maybe, because I knew he was a
little bit right.
Writing, I've always thought, is when
my voice is at its bravest and best. But, for a long time, I wasn't writing. And one
of the reasons I wasn't writing was because of a paralyzing fear that investing
in something that is so essentially ME gives The World something to mess with.
Something to diminish, mock, not take seriously … kind of like what Don had
just done. And it was annoying, unnecessary, and a bit rude. But it didn't actually
make me a poor writer. Maybe I had failed (miserably) to win over Don with my
literary prowess, but -- gasp -- my talents had survived intact.
In time, I have decided, no, I'm
not a “Writer” -- I’m not published, I don't go on book tours, nobody wants me to
autograph anything. And if that makes me a "Hobbyist," cool. I’ll take it, and I’ll own it. I write because it makes me feel human. Because, without it, I wouldn't be me. I can't NOT write just because someone might (by that I mean, will) tell me my writing isn't awesome, or worse, they don't get it. And when that does happen, it doesn't make it true.
So, Don-The-Writer, challenge accepted! I'd say "this one's for you," but it's not. It's for me, The Hobbyist.
XO,
JM
So, Don-The-Writer, challenge accepted! I'd say "this one's for you," but it's not. It's for me, The Hobbyist.
XO,
JM
No comments:
Post a Comment
Talk back! But please be nice, we're all friends here.